Friday 20 April 2012

Back to work for me

I've got a job!  I'm back in the Pontcysyllte Information Centre at Trevor Basin, working for Wrexham County Borough Council & not British Waterways.  The BW centre closed at the end of October 2010 due to lack of funds, and remained closed for last season (the army of volunteers failed to materialise).  It's now been taken over by WCBC, it's been extended, and there's loads more seating areas dotted around the place.  It looks great.  Again, it's a seasonal job till the end of September, and I'll be working weekends and bank holidays only.  Part time - don't want too much excitement!  Of course I didn't have an interview outfit, so had to take a trip out to Wrexham for the new kit.  Unfortunately, it means I now have to work a month before I've recouped the money spent on "office" type clothes - not having needed this type of attire for a number of years, just the BW uniform!  I still can't master walking in heels, but don't think my boots will cut the mustard, which has been my daily footwear for the last few years.  I'm looking forward to my first day tomorrow.  The job itself is far simpler than it was with BW - just manning the information centre - with no involvement with boats and the canal, bit of a shame, but I'm sure I'll cope.  The boaters will have to shout at someone else when they're queuing to get over the aqueduct!  I also bit the bullet and went to the hairdressers.  Gulp - £33.50!!!!  Blimey, I was there less than an hour.

The hair cut ... I did ask for "an inch all over", this was my downfall, as I should have gone metric.  The hairdresser was obviously too young to understand imperial measurements.  Never mind - it'll grow back in time.  I should have charged them for all the hair which was cut - you could make a wig out of it.


And so onto the random photo selection of the week.....
Beefur on the mooring, with Mr. Pheasant next to the clothes pole (the green thing sticking up)

Ah, lovely.  13 little ducklings, looks like they're a day old.  I wonder how many will be left by tomorrow....



Since coming back to The Fron, my Vodafone signal has been crap. But since I sold my soul to them on a contract till August, I can't do anything about it.  I've never experienced signal problems here at the moorings before now, but since we came back it's been rubbish.  I have complained, and Vodafone say there isn't a signal problem.  It's a real pain when you're unable to make contact with anyone for hours at a time, then all of a sudden, the signal will return and I'm innundated with voice calls and text messages.  I didn't like being without a phone here, so I bought a pay as you go Orange mobile - the cheapest I could find - £12.99 with £10 of credit on it.  Bargain!

The day boats have been out in force - why do they have to dress up as pirates?

I'm off now to find an iron, there's one in this boat somewhere......

2 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

You know you can claim against your tax for those clothes if they are bought for work

Sue Hunter said...

Thanks for that. But I won't be claiming - I'd rather get myself a 'uniform' so there's no messing about each morning deciding what to wear!